Roof leaks are more than just a nuisance. They can cause serious problems to your Oklahoma City home. What might start off as a small leak can grow into a large leak, which can cause damage to the structure of your roof or to the house itself. This could lead to the eventual rotting of wood, the growth and spread of mold or mildew, or more. Also, a leak can lead to extensive water damage inside of your house, possibly resulting in the loss of personal possessions. This is why even the smallest leak requires immediate roof leak repair.
Causes of Roof Leaks
There are a number of reasons why there might be a leak in your roof. The following are just a few possible reasons:
- The leaks were caused by damage from hail, falling tree limbs or other storm related incidents.
- Damage could be the result of people or animals walking across the roof.
- The metal flashing of your roof is defective or it was improperly installed.
- The flue pipes inside of your chimney weren’t properly aligned.
- The roof shingles weren’t properly installed.
- The gutters to your roof were clogged, causing a buildup of rainwater that eventually leaked into the home.
- Your roof may have just exceeded its lifespan, resulting in its shingles becoming worn out or cracked.
How To Inspect Your Roof For Problems
While the most effective way to do a thorough roof inspection is to hire a professional to come do a proper inspection, there are a number of ways that you can check for issues as well. The following are just a few ways that you’ll be able to tell if you need roof leak repairs:
- Do a visual inspection of your roof from the ground. Walk around your house and just look at the shingles on your roof. If you can see any damaged or missing shingles, there’s probably a problem.
- Check your gutters. Look for any clogs. You should clean or have your gutters cleaned regularly to help prevent leaks.
- Check for water damage inside. Look for water spots on your ceilings and walls.
- Look for light gaps in your attic. If light is coming in, it means water will be able to as well.
You should make sure to have your Oklahoma City roof inspected on a regular basis to make sure that it is not in need of roof leak repair.
Contact Perfection Roofing, Inc., for a free inspection of your roof.
[button link=”https://www.roofnowoklahoma.com/residential-roofing-repair/” color=”#ca0000″ size=”3″ style=”1″ dark=”0″ square=”1″ target=”self”]Roof Repair[/button]
*originally posted 3-12-14