Relief from winter weather draws closer with each turn of the calendar page. Have you made your spring-cleaning list yet? One task that should make the top of your spring-cleaning list is checking the top of your home. Help your shingle roof recover from winter weather and get it ready for spring with this list compiled by the professionals at Perfection Roofing.
DIY Spring Roof Maintenance
Your roofing system consists of more than just shingles. You’ll also need to inspect gutters and your attic to know the overall condition of your roof.
- Shingle: Climbing up on your shingle roof is risky business. Check for missing and damaged shingles (e.g. crooked, torn or uplifted) from the ground using a pair of binoculars or just eyeball it.
- Flashing: Flashing is used to prevent water leaks at roof valleys and chimneys. It can be difficult to spot flashing problems from the ground. It’s recommended that your professional roofer handle this task.
- Chimneys/flues: Are your chimney, chimney cap and spark arrestor in good shape? Cracks in brick and mortar should be repaired.
- Attic: Look for signs of water damage in your attic. Damp insulation and mold are sure signs you have roofing problems.
- Repair or replace: Talk to your roofing contractor about your best options when you spot trouble in your roofing system. Repairing or replacing your roof depends on the severity of the problem, the age of your roof and other factors your contractor will be able to explain.
Gutters are an important part of your roofing system that help protect your home and foundation. If you have a lingering problem with your gutters, you may well have a water problem in your home.
- Leaks: Leaks typically occur at gutter seams, which are every 10 feet. Leaks may occur due to loose seams, rust or loose downspouts.
- Fascia: Check the gutter connections to the fascia board to see if any sections are pulling away or sagging.
- Spouts: Downspouts should empty water at least six feet away from your home’s exterior walls.
- Blockages: Clogged gutters should be cleaned and cleared of debris. Water and ice dams produced by gutter clogs can damage your roof, home’s walls and foundation.
Schedule a professional roof inspection each spring. Preventing and fixing problems early helps your roof last longer, protects your home and saves money in the end.
Contact the professionals at Perfection Roofing Inc. today to schedule your spring shingle roof inspection.