Your home’s roof can take a beating when subjected to a fierce Oklahoma storm, and sometimes the damage requires emergency action.
The damage can range from water leaks to broken and missing shingles, to holes in the roof. No matter what its extent, you need to take swift action to protect the exterior and interior of your home.
1. Check The Extent of the Damage
Your first step is to check around the interior and exterior of your home for signs of damage. Safety should always be your first priority, so look out for exposed nails, broken glass, downed electrical wires, and gas leaks. If you do smell gas, shut off the main gas valve and call the gas company immediately.
- Looking for leaks – Storm damage can create water leaks which occur both inside and outside of your house. One of the best places to start when looking for leaks is in your attic, but you’ll want to inspect all areas of your home.
- Less apparent signs of damage – The condition of your roof and its shingles may reveal visible signs of storm damage, but take a look at your roof flashing, exhaust caps, and vents for additional signs of damage. Missing granules on your shingles are another less obvious indicator of storm damage, as are dented gutters.
2. Take Steps to Protect Your Home
There are things you can do to protect your home and its contents before a roofing contractor gets to your home:
- Place a bucket or large container near the source of a leak – such as in the attic – to contain the water and prevent it from seeping further into your home.
- Clear off any wet insulation.
- Move or cover any furniture inside your home that may be damaged by water.
- Use a tarp to cover holes in the roof temporarily while preventing further damage from entering your home.
3. Call a Contractor
It’s never a good idea to attempt to fix a roof on your home. Do what you can to protect your home before the contractor arrives – such as moving furniture and containing leaks – but leave more extensive work up to your contractor.
Call Perfection Roofing if your Tulsa-area home needs emergency roof repair. We have the expertise and experience to handle any repair, big or small.