Old Man Winter is almost here. There are many things you can do to keep him from sending your fuel costs literally “through the roof.” Here is a handy checklist from your Sand Springs roofing company, Perfection Roofing, to help stop heat loss before winter and save energy in your home or business:
A chilly floor on the main level of your Sand Springs home may indicate heat-loss problems in the basement:
- Fill cracks in the basement brick or concrete walls and floors
- Insulate all exterior walls in the basement.
- Weather strip around the door to seal leaks
- Replace single pane windows with double pane windows
- Caulk around windows to prevent leaks.
- Use a kit (available at most home improvement stores) to install clear plastic over the inside of your windows
- Upgrade your wall insulation
- Turn thermostat down at night and any time you will be away for several hours. Consider replacing old thermostats with the newer programmable type
- Close doors and heat vents in unused rooms.
- When you need to replace a furnace, make sure it has an AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) rating of 90+. Be sure to check out the special rebate programs in Sand Springs, and the rest of Oklahoma, through the Home Energy Efficiency Program.
- Replace older-model open metal dryer vents with newer plastic vents that close when the dryer is not in use.
- Add foam gaskets to electrical outlets (can be purchased at home stores).
- Close the fireplace damper when there is no fire. Consider using an inflatable draft stopper for even more protection.
- Keep the glass doors on your fireplace closed when not in use.
- Consider a fireplace insert to circulate warm fireplace air.
The Attic and Roof
This area is perhaps the most critical when it comes to saving money and preventing heat loss in your Sand Springs home or business:
- Add attic insulation!! Most heat escapes through the roof. Up to 30% of the cost of your insulation may be eligible for a special rebate through the Home Energy Efficiency Program in Oklahoma. Call Sand Springs roofing company, Perfection Roofing to have new Owens Corning insulation added to your attic.Fill Cracks in the basement brick or concrete walls and floors
Your Trusted Sands Spring roofing contractor, Perfection Roofing, is an Owens Corning Platinum Preferred contractor that has been in business for 35 years. We are equipped and ready to help you prepare your home for winter.
Contact Perfection Roofing for a free insulation analysis and evaluation of your attic.